- In the very early days of Ballarat Methodism services were held at a locality then known as Clayton's Hill in the vicinity of the present Lal Lal Street, in an edifice constructed of slab walls and a canvas roof. Early in the year 1855 the opening of the Gravel Pits diggings (near the site of our Barkly Street Church caused a move of population from Clayton Hill. A number of Cornishmen, transferring from that locality to Mount Pleasant, had their church building brought across and re-erected on the site of the present Mount Pleasant Church. The first services at Mount Pleasant were held in this structure, which had seating accommodation for about one hundred worshippers, in April, 1855. At least one worshipper at the first service is still living, in the person of Mr. C. C. Phillips, of Rocklyn.
- The Ballarat Methodist, February 1936, Volume 1 page 15.