There is reference to a cemetery between Sinclair's and Clayton's Hill, at an East Borough Meeting. This was around the time of the Eureka reinterments of Captain Ross, James Brown, Thonen and Tom the Blacksmith. 
Charles Phillips recalled: 'We arrived in Ballarat on 20th August 1852 and camped in and 8x6 ft tent on Clayton’s Hill named after David Clayton an American who after working at his trade as a cooper making tubs, cradles &c for the diggers for some time returned to his native land'.
- The Star, 6 January 1858; Margaret McKenna notes
- Ballarat City Council Correspondence, 1920, VPRS 2500, PROV, BAC. Transcribed by Dorothy Wickham.