John Myles

From eurekapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
New Houses of Parliament, 1854. State Library of Victoria Collection, Designed under the general instructions of Captn Charles Pasley, R.E. Commissioner of Public Works. Architects Messrs Lynght & Kerr (H18179)


Goldfields Involvement, 1854

Post 1854 Experiences


We record with regret the death of Mr. John Myles, J.P., at his residence at Durham Ox on the 12th inst., at the advanced age, of 80 years. The deceased gentleman was born at Limerick, Ireland, on the 21st June, 1813. Fifty four years ago - in June, 1831 - he and his brother, Mr George Myles (who is still living at Durham Ox), came out to Sydney. The late Mr H. S. Parfitt, M.L.A , was a passenger in the same vessel, and it is remarkable that they met Mr. Parfitt again for the first time in 50 years only four years ago. After staying a few months in Sydney the two brothers went to New Zealand, and settled at Kororareka - a town on the Bay of Islands, and one of the earliest British settlements in New Zealand. The country was very mountainous, the climate wet, and the life very rough, and they removed to what was then known as the Port Phillip District of New South Wales. After a short stay in Melbourne they finally decided to settle down at Geelong. They built a store, and commenced business in Corio-street, which was then the principal business street of the little town. After several years, as the town extended, they built new premises at the corner of Moorabool and Ryrie streets, known for many years after as Myles's corner. Then the rush to the gold diggings at Ballarat took place, and Geelong was deserted by nearly all its male population The two brothers went too, but were unsuccessful. Mr. John Myles sold out his business, and invested his means in the building of a number of shops and houses in Geelong. He took an active part in the early constitutional struggles, and in every movement for the advancement of the colony and of the district in which he lived. He was elected to represent South Grant in the Legislative Assembly, and afterwards became a member of the Legislative Council. John Pascoe Fawkner, Peter Lalor, John O'Shanassy, Wilson Gray, and other notable men were his contemporaries. His political career was ended by a reverse of fortune, and he commenced farming at Barwon Heads, and in 1874 removed to Durham Ox, where he remained to the time of his death. During the last 10 years he had become quite blind from cataract, but, though living a very retired life, still look great interest in all political and social matters, and was held in great esteem and respect by all who knew him he lived a long, honourable, and useful life, and was a true representative of the sturdy, energetic pioneers who did the state good service in the early days of the colony.[1]

See also

Further Reading

Corfield, J.,Wickham, D., & Gervasoni, C. The Eureka Encyclopaedia, Ballarat Heritage Services, 2004.


  1. The Argus, 15 July 1893.

External links

File:File name.jpg
Caption, Reference.