Berringa is a small township in west-central Victoria, Australia situated in Golden Plains Shire, about 43 km southwest of Ballarat. The area was a centre of intensive gold mining in the 19th and early 20th centuries and was known as Kangaroo prior to 1900. Gold has been mined at Berringa since the 1850s, with the main period of production being from 1898 to 1917, during which time about 280,000 ounces of gold were extracted from five major mines. Gold mining had a direct effect on Berringa's population, which increased from 150 in 1899 to a peak of about 4000 in 1908. By 1922, with the gold mining boom over, the population fell to about 100.