Goldfields Involvement, 1854
Post 1854 Experiences
Alley was a merchant residing in the Ballaarat township when he signed the Benden Hassell Petition in 1856.  In the same year he signed a petition requesting Robert Smith to stand for election for the Ballarat Municpality. 
In the News
- J. H. ALLEY BEGS to call the attention of private families and those who are desirous of procuring a really first-class wine to his present stock, which he has been at great pains and ex pense in collecting, owing to the extreme scarcity of wines and spirits in the colonial markets of other than medium quality.
- In commencing operations, on Ballarat, nearly three yean ago, J.H. Alley announced his intention of confining himself strictly to the legitimate business of a Wine Merchant, such as it is in the old country ; and, although doubts were at first entertained of success, owing to the peculiar circumstances of the gold fields, rendering a combination of the grocery and provision trades with the above business a supposed sine qua non, he has been fully repaid for his exertions, in having secured the patronage of the great majority of the elite of Ballarat and the settlers of the surrounding districts, and has the further, gratification of knowing that he is universally acknowledged to bare the most recherché collection of wines in, perhaps, the colony. '
- In moving from his former premises (next Bath's Hotel) to the above address, for more ex tensive accommodation, J. H. Alley assures his friends that he will continue his efforts to keep up a stock of such rare, wines as must satisfy the palate of the nicest connoisseur; and, in return, looks for a continuance of their support.
- J. H. ALLEY ... 
Wickham, Dorothy, Shot in the Dark: Being the Petition for the Compensation Case of Benden S. Hassell, Ballarat Heritage Services, 1998.
- Wickham, Dorothy, Shot in the Dark: Being the Petition for the Compensation Case of Benden S. Hassell, Ballarat Heritage Services, 1998.
- Ballarat Star, 27 December 1856.
- Ballarat Star, 21 August 1857.
Citation Details Eurekapedia, http://eurekapedia.org, accessed [insert date]
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can assist with further information on this person.