Goldfields Involvement, 1853-1854
Signed the 1853 Bendigo Goldfields Petition. Agitation of the Victorian goldfields started with the Forest Creek Monster Meeting in 1851, but what became known as the Red Ribbon Movement was centred around the Bendigo goldfields in 1853. The Anti-Gold License Association was formed at Bendigo in June 1853, led by George Thomson, Dr D.G. Jones and 'Captain' Edward Browne. The association focused its attention on the 30 shillings monthly licence fee miners were required to pay to the government. They drew up a petition outlining digger grievances and called for a reduced licence fee, improved law and order, the right to vote and the right to buy land. The petition was signed by diggers at Bendigo, Ballarat, Castlemaine, McIvor (Heathcote), Mount Alexander (Harcourt) and other diggings. The 13 metre long petition was presented to Lieutenant-Governor Charles La Trobe in Melbourne on the 01 August 1853, but their call for a reduction in monthly licence fees and land reform for diggers was rejected. The diggers dissatisfaction erupted into the Red Ribbon Rebellion where agitators wore red ribbons on their hats symbolising their defiance of the law and prohibitive licence fees.
Post 1854 Experiences
- An old pioneer of Australia, and a former resident of Sale, in the person of Mr. Decimus Lamb, passed away at his residence, 41 Weller-street, Geelong West, on the 25th ult. He landed in Adelaide in the year 1851, coming out to his brother, who had predeceased him, and was in practice as a solicitor. After a short stay in Adelaide he journeyed on horseback to Bendigo, where he followed mining for some years. Whilst on one of his many journeys he was accosted by the then well-known bushranger, Black Douglas, and bailed up at an inn called the Pick and Shovel, where the bushranger treated all the inmates to a sumptuous supper. Later he went to Deniliquin, N.S.W. In 1882 he took up his residence in Sale, but latterly has resided in Geelong. A widow and family survive him. Deceased was at one time during his residence in Sale licensee of the Exchange Hotel, and the Albion Hotel. He was also formerly licensee of the Swan Hotel, Stratford, and had property at Darriman.
- On the 21st instant, at the Sportsman's Arms, M'Ivor Creek, Mrs. Lamb, the wife of Mr. Decimus Lamb, of a daughter.
- Ihe funeral of the late Mrs. Barbara Lamb, widow of the late Decimus Lamb formerly of Gippsland and 6e!ong West, took place yesterday afternoon, her remains being intered in the family grave in the Church of Englaan portion of the New General Cemetery. The cortege, which left the residence ot her son-in-law, Mr. H. Mitchell, Latrobe-terrace, Geelong West, comprised the glass hearse, landau car riages, motor car and a number ot public and private vehicles. The polished kauri fcffin was carried to the grave by Messrs. R. and E. Lamb. W. and R. Lloyd. G. H. Selt and W Ray, and the following gentlemen supported the purple pall: Messrs. J. C Bennett, H. Crawcour, R. Foster, W Branch, P. Moran, J. Tapp, F. W. Cock ing, B. Bluker. Rev. W. Edgar Wood of St. Paul's Church England conducted the burial service at the home and graveside Mr. Alex Monro funeral director, of Ryrie street. carried out the mortuary arrangements.
- Gippsland Times, 04 March 1918.
- Bendigo Advertiser, 25 May 1858.
- Geelong Advertiser, 07 October 1920.
If you can assist with information on this person, or a related image, please email email@example.com
To CITE this page click Cite This Page on the link to the left of this page.