Patrick 'Patsy' Tully 1830 - 1922. Born Ireland and arrived in Melbourne, Australia on the ship Talavera on May 16, 1853. A 1922 article after his passing describes his involvement in constructing the Eureka Stockade, it includes a photograph of Patrick Tully. One of Patrick's siblings, Francis Charles 'Doc' Tully 1847 - 1927 Born Woodford, Co Galway, Ireland, was involved in the Woodford Evictions and Land Wars in Ireland 1880s.
Goldfields Involvement, 1853-1854
Signed the 1853 Bendigo Goldfields Petition. Agitation of the Victorian goldfields started with the Forest Creek Monster Meeting in 1851, but what became known as the Red Ribbon Movement was centred around the Bendigo goldfields in 1853. The Anti-Gold License Association was formed at Bendigo in June 1853, led by George Thomson, Dr D.G. Jones and 'Captain' Edward Browne. The association focused its attention on the 30 shillings monthly licence fee miners were required to pay to the government. They drew up a petition outlining digger grievances and called for a reduced licence fee, improved law and order, the right to vote and the right to buy land. The petition was signed by diggers at Bendigo, Ballarat, Castlemaine, McIvor (Heathcote), Mount Alexander (Harcourt) and other diggings. The 13 metre long petition was presented to Lieutenant-Governor Charles La Trobe in Melbourne on the 01 August 1853, but their call for a reduction in monthly licence fees and land reform for diggers was rejected. The diggers dissatisfaction erupted into the Red Ribbon Rebellion where agitators wore red ribbons on their hats symbolising their defiance of the law and prohibitive licence fees.
Post 1854 Experiences
"AN OLD PIONEER. THE LATE MR. PATRICK TULLY. Mr. Patrick Tully, of Ray station, Adavale, died on Sunday, the 6th instant. In deference to the expressed wish of Mr. Tully that he should spend his last days at Ray and be buried there, he was laid to rest in the little cemetery on the station. Mr. Tully was born at Drimna, County Galway, Ireland, on October 20, 1830. He left there for the Australian goldfields in the ship Talavera on May 16, 1853, landing at Melbourne.
He spent several years on various goldfields in Victoria, including Adelong, Bendigo, Simson's Range (now Maryborough), Alma, Creswick Creek, and Ballarat, where he was one of those who helped to build the famous Eureka Stockade when the miners of Ballarat broke out in revolution against the proposed increase in the gold license fees and proclaimed the "Republic of Victoria."
The rebellion lasted for two days, and on the third an assault on the stockade, by 300 soldiers brought it to an ignominious end. The stockade was composed of mud, sticks, sandbags, old carts, waggons, and every available thing that could be turned to defensive use. Mr. Tully often spoke of his part in this "emeute" when relating his early experiences of colonial life.
From Ballarat Mr. Tully went to the Ovens, then back to Adelong, where he had a good "find," and gained sufficient money to take up, and stock a grazing farm on Hume's Creek, Grabbin Gully, near Goulburn, N.S.W. Here he married Miss Sarah Durack, youngest daughter of Mr. Michael Durack, of Mummel.
Later he took up another selection near Gundagai, but forfeited it, and left with his family in bullock drays for Western Queensland, where some time before the Durack brothers had taken up Thylungra, Bulgroo, Pinkilla, and Galway runs. The journey occupied six months. Mr. Tully took up Ray holding, near Adayale. Camped on the creek there was Mr. Welford, who soon, afterwards took up Welford Downs, where he was cruelly murdered by blacks. Mr. Tully had brought with him from New South Wales the best of his horses and cattle, with which he started the Hay herd. Twice it was almost wiped out by pleuro-pneumonia, and again by the severe drought of 1884.
He bought his first sheep from Milo in the early eighties, and after his unprofitable experience with cattle decided to stick to sheep in future. His flocks are now among the best in the district.
In 1900 he went for a trip to the Homeland with Mrs. Tully and his eldest daughter, and when he returned his only brother, Mr. F. C. Tully, came from Ireland with him.
On June 24 of last year, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Tully celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary, the festivities, which lasted over several weeks, taking place at Ray, which had been their home or 46 years. There were 14 children of the marriage, of whom seven survive, and there are 15 grandchildren.
Mr. Tully passed away in his 92nd year in May last."
- The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939) Sat 19 Aug 1922, Page 34, AN OLD PIONEER. Harvard/Australian citation 1922 'AN OLD PIONEER.', The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939), 19 August, p. 34. , viewed 27 Jul 2021, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27434549
If you can assist with information on this person, or a related image, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To CITE this page click Cite This Page on the link to the left of this page.