St Alipius

From eurekapedia
Revision as of 12:37, 30 August 2016 by Cgervaso (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
Katholisch Kapelle aus den Gravel Pit Lunis 3u Ballarat Januav 1854 by William Strutt. State Library of Victoria Collection (H12532)
St Alipius Flag, 2004, Photograph: Clare Gervasoni

The St Alipius Chapel was established in a tent near the eastern boundary of the St Alipius church grounds in Victoria Street (between Princes and King Streets). it became an important meeting place for formal and informal meetings during the weeks before the Eureka Stockade.[1]

During the Eureka era the Parish Priest was Father Patrick Smyth. He tried to negotiate with Camp officials during the height of the goldfields agitation.

Today St Alipius is a substantial bluestone church.

Also See

Patrick Smyth


References

  1. The Eureka Trails publicity brochure, undated.