Difference between revisions of "St Alipius"

From eurekapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[File:St-Alipius.jpeg|805px|thumb|right|''Katholisch Kapelle aus den Gravel Pit Lunis 3u Ballarat Januav 1854 by William Strutt.  State Library of Victoria Collection (H12532)]]
 
[[File:St-Alipius.jpeg|805px|thumb|right|''Katholisch Kapelle aus den Gravel Pit Lunis 3u Ballarat Januav 1854 by William Strutt.  State Library of Victoria Collection (H12532)]]
 +
 +
[[File:IMG_0100wiki.jpg|800px|thumb|right|St Alipius' Chapel Recreated at Sovereign Hill, 2016.<br /> Ballarat Heritage Services Picture Collection]]
  
 
[[File:St Alipius Flag - Photo - C. Gervasoni-wiki.JPG|500px|thumb|left|''St Alipius Flag, 2004,'' Photograph: Clare Gervasoni]]
 
[[File:St Alipius Flag - Photo - C. Gervasoni-wiki.JPG|500px|thumb|left|''St Alipius Flag, 2004,'' Photograph: Clare Gervasoni]]

Revision as of 10:14, 28 December 2016

Katholisch Kapelle aus den Gravel Pit Lunis 3u Ballarat Januav 1854 by William Strutt. State Library of Victoria Collection (H12532)
St Alipius' Chapel Recreated at Sovereign Hill, 2016.
Ballarat Heritage Services Picture Collection
St Alipius Flag, 2004, Photograph: Clare Gervasoni

The St Alipius Chapel was established in a tent near the eastern boundary of the St Alipius church grounds in Victoria Street (between Princes and King Streets). it became an important meeting place for formal and informal meetings during the weeks before the Eureka Stockade.[1]

During the Eureka era the Parish Priest was Father Patrick Smyth. He tried to negotiate with Camp officials during the height of the goldfields agitation.

Today St Alipius is a substantial bluestone church.

Also See

Patrick Smyth


References

  1. The Eureka Trails publicity brochure, undated.