James was the son of John William (or William John) Farrant 
Goldfields Involvement, 1854
Post 1854 Experiences
- EIGHTY TOMORROW ... Mr. James William Farrant, of Ashford road, Keswick, will celebrate his eightieth birthday tomorrow. He was born at Gawler, and educated at Sevenhills College. Later he lived at Kapunda, where his father conducted a hotel. Then came the rush to the goldfields, and Mr. Farrant, sen., whose wife had died, left his family at, Gawler and went to Ballarat. He was killed in the fight at the Eureka Stockade. Young Farrant, who had by this time developed a love for horses, joined Mr. John Prest at Penwortham, near Watervale. After staying there for six months he went to Hummocks Station, north of Port Wakefield. "There were some real outlaws to be handled," said Mr. Farrant. "Among them was a noted buckjumper at Red Banks Station, which I rode for a wager, and won." That exhibition in the saddle secured for Mr. Farrant a contract for breaking in remounts for the Indian Government. When only 18 years of age Mr. Farrant went to Port Lincoln, and worked for Mr. Andrew Tennant, of Tallala, and afterward for Mr. W. R. Mortlock, at Yalluna. He mustered cattle with tihe late Sir John Lewis for Levi & Co. In August. 1883, Mr. Farrant was offered the management of Lake Everard run, owned by Messrs. Hamilton & Mills. The property was in a wild state, and stretched beyond the boundary of the settled districts. Natives were a source of danger. Sheep killing by aborigines necessitated an incessant watch. In 1890 Mr. Farrant was transferred to Teetalpa, where he remained for 15 years. He then decided to take up land in the South-East, where he lived and farmed until the 1914-15 drought. Mr. Farrant married Miss Gertrude Norman, of Yunta. Two sons and five daughters constitute the family, namely, Messrs. J. W. Farrant and Walter Farrant, Mesdames A.Davidson, E. Davidson, and Bendel, and Misses Martha and Norma Farrant. There are 16 grand children.
- https://www.geni.com/people/John-Farrant/6000000048537341937, accessed 24 October 2016.
- Adelaide News, 9 February 1927.