James Lynch

From eurekapedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Goldfields Involvement, 1854

A miner who signed the Benden Sherritt Hassell Compensation Case Petition in 1855.

Post 1854 Experiences


One of Gundagai's earliest pioneers in the person of Mr James Lynch crossed over to the Great Beyond at Wyalong on Saturday last. A native of Kilcorney, County Clare, Ireland, he had reached the age of 65 years. With his parents, he landed in Sydney 62 years ago, and soon after came to Gundagai with his parents. He went to Ballarat and other gold rushes in Victoria, with his father, in '52 (the year of the memorable flood in Gundagai). His father did well in his quest of the yellow metal, and returned with his son to Gundagai in '55. A few years later young Lynch, who was smitten with the gold fever, made off to Kiandra rush, then to Adelong; but the fickle jade, Fortune, did not cast any favors upon him. When the Spring Flat gold rush broke out the late Mr Lynch opened a store and butcher's shop in the town which sprung up between Gundagai cemetery and Mr W. Carrigg's pre sent residence. He drove a lucrative business. Lambing Flat rush attracted him. He put on a couple of bullock teams, which he owned, and launched out in the carrying business from Gundagai to Lambing Flat. The miners on that rush were supplied with flour, potatoes, &c, from Gundagai, through Mr Lynch's enterprise. Gulgong next saw him. He spent some time following the occupation of a gold-digger on that rush, with fairly successful results. Then he opened an hotel on the field, and did well. Subsequently he went to Peak Hill, where he followed mining pursuits The timber for the first bridge over the Murrumbidgee river at Gundagai was obtained down Nangus way, where one of the first saw mills about these parts was erected. The late Mr Lynch had charge of the teams which carted the timber to Gundagai. In his young days Mr Lynch was a particularly smart, active man, and old hands assort he had no compeor in Australia as a rough rider. We recently heard an old-timer remark, 'Twould make some of the young horsemen of to-day state if they saw Jimmy Lynch riding a buckjumper; the horse wasn't foaled that could chuck him, and, by gum, the horses could buck when he was at the business ; some of them were real out laws.'
The late Mr Lynch was one of the first on Wyalong gold-field, and took over the management of the White Reefs. Subsequently he managed Nield's famous mine for several years. About two years ago he was attacked with minors' consumption, and a growth appeared on his neck, which was at first feared to be cancer, but which turned out not to be such. He was operated upon in a Sydney hospital for the removal of the growth, and after the wound healed no ill effects followed. But the miners' com plaint was steadily making inroads on his system, and he gradually wasted away until the dread summons came on Saturday afternoon last, when he had to obey the great Roll Call. Deceased leaves a wife, two sons and four daughters to mourn their loss. The funeral took place on Sun day, the remains being interred in the R.C. Church, Wyalong. The cortege was a lengthy one, deceased being hold in the highest esteem. The Rev. Father O'Shea read the burial service. Mr W. Lynch, Gundagai, is the only surviving brother of deceased. When he received word last week that his brother was dying he journeyed to Wyalong, and was by his bedside when he died. [1]

See also

Michael O'Dea

Wyalong Catholic Cemetery

Further Reading

Corfield, J.,Wickham, D., & Gervasoni, C. The Eureka Encyclopaedia, Ballarat Heritage Services, 2004.


  1. Gundagai Independent and Pastoral, Agricultural & Mining Advocate, 10 October 1906.

External links

File:File name.jpg
Caption, Reference.