Goldfields Involvement, 1854
Post 1854 Experiences
Dassett was a boarding house keeper.
- GRANT POLICE COURT. (Before W. H. Gaunt, Esq. P.M., and E . Lintott, Esq. J.P.,) GOOSE WITH FISH SAUCE. Mary Fish and Thomas Sprague were charged with stealing two geese, the property of Charles Bassett. Mrs. Bassett, sworn : I am the wife of Charles Bassett. I remember the 27th. On that day I missed two geese, one white one and one grey one, they had no feet marks. They were the only geese known to be within miles of the place. I saw them about half past six going towards Mrs. Fish's place. About half past nine went round to prisoner's kitchen, and heard them plucking fowls. There are no other geese on Grant. I know the prisoner Sprague to be living at Mrs. Fish's. I gave information to the police E. J. Colman, Police Constable stationed at Grant, sworn: I executed a search warrant yesterday on Mrs. Fish's place for the geese. I searched the place and found a goose in the safe, and one hanging up between the lining and the wall of the kitchen. I cautioned the prisoner in the usual way. She denied all knowledge of them. There was a quantity of feathers about the kitchen. I took the prisoner Fish into custody, and afterwards arrested the prisoner Sprague. To my own knowledge Sprague has been living in the other prisoner's house for the last six months. Mrs. Fish is the woman who kept the house. The Bench said that Sprague must be discharged, and asked if the prisoner Fish desired to call any witnesses. Prisoner said she knew nothing about the geese, and believed somebody put them there in a lark. The bench considered killing and plucking them too much of a lark, and sentenced the prisoner to three months cool retirement with hard labor in Sale goal.
Wickham, Dorothy, Shot in the Dark: Being the Petition for the Compensation Case of Benden S. Hassell, Ballarat Heritage Services, 1998.
- Corfield, J.,Wickham, D., & Gervasoni, C. The Eureka Encyclopaedia, Ballarat Heritage Services, 2004.
- Wickham, Dorothy, Shot in the Dark: Being the Petition for the Compensation Case of Benden S. Hassell, Ballarat Heritage Services, 1998.
- Ballarat Star, 02 June 1860.
- Ballarat Star, 18 October 1860.
- Gippsland Times, 01 February 1868.