Baringhup was known as Bryant's Crossing, because of the ford over the Loddon River. It is near the provincial centre of Maryborough, and is located on the Loddon River, north of the Cairn Curran Reservoir and 10km west of Maldon.
A bridge was built in 1855, along with the opening of a school, the Loddon Hotel and a blacksmith.The name Baringhup was given to the locality in the early 1860s. Reportedly it is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning a place for drinking water. The Baringhup Road Board, preceded Maldon Shire.